Was great but not playing well with new iPhones
Developers need to fix the interface on iPhone XS. The top notch covers important content as does the bottom home line.
Love the game! BUT
Games will not load says no internet connection. Ugh frustrating. Reinstalled but still occasionally have issues connecting and people are force forfeiting my game! Also cannot connect with friend’s id! I want to play with my friends! Doesn’t work on their end either when they put in my user name!
Major scoring bug still not fixed after years
I've been playing the app for years, mostly single player (against the computer players). But the game often ends with the wrong winner because it incorrectly gives the unused tile points to the wrong player when I'm the one that used all my tiles. Very annoying!
Update: another update was released with the bug still not fixed!
More info: the bug happens apparently when one of the players had just a blank tile left. That player gets the points for the other player's tiles instead of them going to the player that actually used all his tiles. (I would report this directly to EA, but their bug reporting process doesn't work without an EA account, no thanks.) The ongoing frustration changes my rating to a single star. If the bug were fixed, it would be five stars.
Please Please Please Fix The Notch
Most phones now have a front screen notch. For the love of God, Could you please fix the interface so it works with the notch! I would love to actually see the scores!
I am thankful that Scrabble for iOS exists. I play several concurrent games with my 91 year-old mother who lives 3,000 miles away. It has always been her favorite game and in addition to keeping us connected, it keeps her mind active.
There are always ‘little things’ that are bothersome. Requiring a Facebook or Origin account is a little annoying to play someone remotely. Sometimes it loses the connection to Facebook and has to be reauthorized.
Also, app updates seem infrequent. Unfortunately, on an iPhone XS Max, the play area enlarges disproportionately, so the score area at the top is obscured by the Face ID notch, and, for some reason, the iOS home bar at the bottom of the screen never goes away when Scrabble is open, so all the icons are obscured by it, making things like exchanging tiles tricky to tap.
But operationally, it’s reliable. It hasn’t crashed once in many years.
Invasive app. Poor privacy policies. EA collects your personal data!
The app is well designed, and fun to play. However, there are serious game play flaws.
1. Music and sounds are turned on by default. It woke my partner up when I first launched the game. Suggestion: have it off by default and simply have text on screen -- silently -- saying you can turn it on sound effects and music!
2. One is forced to go through a tutorial -- and it is irritating. There is a skip button (discovered later) at the beginning, but no way of exiting once you are trapped inside the tutorial. Suggestion: here, too, just a brief message saying tutorial available.
3. The game gets stuck at the end when player and computer have nothing to play! You have to go back and forth *three* times before it will finally conclude the game!
4. The app plays many unusual, even questionable, words and that detracts from the enjoyment. Suggestion: The dictionary should include definitions! That way, users could learn something along the way.
5. The Best Word feature is fine, but the animation is distracting and gets old fast!
INVASION OF PRIVACY CONCERNS
6. Worst of all, Electronic Arts is gathering so much information on what you are doing -- even collecting all the *private* games you have played *OFF LINE* -- that we cannot recommend this app.
It gathers location data, device ID, plants tracking cookies, and shares information with third parties!
Worse, it does that even if you DON’T sign up for its on-line services or "play with friends".
There is also NO way of opting out of most of this data collection -- of course, it should be opt-in to begin with, but EA has NO business exploiting users' info, habits, and browsing this way.
See the next section for details about their policy and all the information that they can gather on you!
Note: I’m quoting from their policy and have added numbers and exclamation points to highlight especially egregious aspects!
1. "If you play a game offline, this data will be stored on your device and transmitted to EA when your device connects to the Internet." !!
Can you believe that?! That's none of their business!
2. "We collect other information automatically when you use our products, including:
3. IP address;” !!
4. “Mobile and other hardware or device identifiers;” !!
Identifying your stuff.
5. “Browser information, including your browser type and the language you prefer”; !!
So, collecting data on your browser preference, but also on your language! Is EA part of the NSA?!
6. “Referring and exit pages, including landing pages and pages viewed;” !!
In other words, where you are browsing!
7. "Platform type;”
8. “Information about your media, device, hardware and software," !!
9. "your hardware settings and components," !!
They're really being invasive!
10. "Details about what EA products you use and your use of them;" !!
"Use of them"?!
11. "Device event information, including crash reports, request and referral URL's" !!
(Note error: it should be URLs.)
Then, the *coup de grace*:
12. "We also may collect and store information locally on your device, using mechanisms like cookies, browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches." !!
In other words, you are granting them permission via their app to put tracking cookies on your device!
This amount to EA tracking its users, which is abhorrent and akin to stalking.
Appreciate that the developers responded to this review. However, their response was a patronizing, tone deaf one!
Yes, we know players have to accept *your* terms before playing.
How “nice” of you to encourage everyone to read them first!
Those aren’t the issue! The problem is that your terms are incredibly intrusive, invasive, and violate privacy in fundamental ways! There is no reason for them save unalloyed greed.
Tracking = cyber stalking and the amount of information you gather is well beyond what is needed and beyond what most apps do!
You also know full well that most people never read privacy policies and terms, so YOU ALL share a responsibility to make your policies fair, non-invasive, respectful of users, respectful of their privacy, and people-friendly.
Please fix this going forward!
Score is cut off in new phones
Classic fun scrabble game, but the Interface is practically retro now. The style is circa iOS 3 or 4, think heavy shadows. It was almost acceptable on my old iPhone 7, but I upgraded to X and now the interface is totally cut off. I can’t see my score! If the app was free, that would be one thing...but it’s not.
Come on Scrabble, I expect more from you.
Needs update for iPhone Xs
By Colleen Pael
On iPhone Xs, the current game score can’t be found when playing Scrabble premium because it’s hidden under the black strip at the top of the screen.
Do not like when playing, the screen enlarges very annoying
How did this pass Apple's review??!
Not properly designed. Score is obstructed by iPhone notch. Constantly thinks I’m switching apps when I try to drag a tile from the rack: it’s too close to the bottom of the view. There’s extra white space above/below board. Take advantage of it!